Thinkific lets you create assignments for students to submit.
Lesson assignments can be added before, during, or after a course; you can accept or reject them after submission.
All subscription plans can use this feature.
- The minimum requirement is a Start plan to create an assignment.
- You can accept and reject students’ assignments.
- You can prevent them from progressing until the assignment lesson is approved.
What Is a Thinkific Assignment?
A Thinkific assignment is a type of lesson that you can add to your course.
The lesson is homework that a student must complete before progressing to the next lesson. It can come before, during, or at the end of a course.
Types of assignments can include worksheets and completing written content.
Once the student has completed the lesson assignment, they can upload the homework to the site for you to review.
Thinkific Assignment Features
When creating an assignment lesson, the platform provides you with the following settings and features:
- Set to draft
- Set it as a free preview lesson
- Make the lesson a prerequisite
- Write instructions in the content section
- Upload a template for the students to download and complete
- Limit the maximum file size for student submissions
- Write a confirmation message for students to see after the submission
Things to note before creating an assignment:
- One File – Each student can upload only one file per assignment. If they need to upload more, you’ll need to inform them to create a zip file.
- Max Size 100MB – The maximum file size students can upload is 100MB.
- Files Supported – The platform states that you can submit files except for .feature files. If you want students to upload this type, they’ll need to put it in a zip file.
How to Create an Assignment on Thinkific
Here’s the method for creating an assignment on Thinkific.
- Make sure you’re logged in and on your Thinkific dashboard
- Select Manage learning products on the left-hand side of the page
- Click on Courses
- Then select the course that you’d like to add an assignment to
- Now click + Add lesson
- Then choose Assignment under the Assess your students section
- You’ll now need to fill out the New lesson information
- Complete all the sections, following the instructions, then click Save
What to Do after a Student Has Submitted an Assignment
When the student has submitted an assignment, you have three options: download the results, send them a message, and accept or reject it.
Here’s an overview of each of the options:
Once the student has submitted the assignment, you can download it for review.
To download a submission, follow these steps:
- On your dashboard, select Support your students
- Then click Assignments
- Here the completed assignments will appear, and if you’re looking for a specific student’s assignment, you can use the Search feature.
Reject or Accept
If passing the assignment is a prerequisite to progressing in your course, you’ll need to approve it before the student can continue.
If their submitted assignment hasn’t met the requirements to progress, you can reject it, which will let them have another chance to submit it.
Here’s how to accept or reject an assignment:
- First, using the instructions outlined in the Draft section, find the student and assignment that you’d like to accept or reject
- Click on the three buttons, and from there, click Accept submission or Reject submission
- If you’d like to send a message, then check the Send a message box
Send a Message
If you’ve reviewed the assignment and want to message the student with feedback, notes, or recommendation, then you can do this privately. This can be done after you’ve accepted or rejected an assignment in step 3 of the previous instruction set.
When filling out a message, you will send it to the user’s email, so you’ll need to provide the subject and text.
How to Update or Delete a Thinkific Assignment
If you’re looking to update a Thinkific assignment to reflect some changes, you can do this by going to the assignment within your course and changing it.
Once you’ve saved the changes, the assignment lesson will be updated, and new students will complete this lesson.
Don’t worry; if students have completed the previous assignment lesson, their data is saved and won’t affect their approval status.
You should set the assignments that are no longer needed to Draft. Students can’t see the lesson assignment, but the previously completed status won’t be affected.
If you choose to delete an assignment lesson, you will also delete all student’s assignment submissions for that task, which is irreversible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can create assignment lessons that can be completed before, during, or after a course. Once the students complete them, you can review, approve, reject, and message them with feedback. The minimum Thinkific plan requirement is the Start plan to do this.
Yes, you can allow students to upload assignments when submitting them. They can submit files except for .feature ones, and the maximum size is 100MB.
Students can be tasked with completing Thinkific assignments before, during, and after courses to check their progress and monitor their understanding. You can do this by setting them worksheets and tasks to submit for you to review. Their continued progress through the course can be determined by whether or not you accept their assignment.
Even with their lowest-level subscription plan, the Start plan, you can create assignments for your students on Thinkific.
We’ve covered why you may want to create assignments, the features available, and how to set them up.
We hope it helped you set up your next Thinkific assignment.