Yes, Thinkific can be used as a Learning Management System (LMS).
The platform allows individuals and businesses to make, upload, distribute, and manage training content, all from one place.
In addition, it also has many other powerful features, such as tracking learners’ progress that we explore below.
Thinkific is used as a comprehensive all-in-one e-learning solution and our recommendation is to use its Grow plan.
What Is an LMS?
LMS stands for Learning Management System, and is software that allows for the creation, planning, delivery, assessment, and reporting of educational content.
Typically, companies, schools, universities, instructors, and learners use an LMS to manage their onboarding and ongoing training.
It acts as a one-stop solution to deliver and track their learning and to ensure they’re up to date.
Thinkific’s LMS Features and Tools
To better understand what Thinkific can do, we’ve listed some of its key features below:
- Schedule Content – Give your employees access to specific content on certain dates to start learning it.
- Assignments – Ensure that each student fully understands the content before they’re allowed access to the next task.
- Progress Reports – The platform allows you to review students, cohorts, and groups’ progress.
- Completion Certificates – Award your students with a certificate once they’ve finished their training.
- Course Compliance Tools – You can prevent your students from skipping through videos and modules.
- Unlimited Members – All subscriptions come with unlimited members, which is perfect for large organizations looking to train many people.
- Unlimited Courses – Most subscriptions will allow you to publish unlimited courses, so you won’t have to worry if your training library grows.
- Remove Thinkific Branding – The platforms allow you to remove the Thinkific branding and have custom domains.
Thinkific LMS Use Case Examples
Companies across industries, teachers, administrators, entrepreneurs, learners, and managers use an LMS to carry out and track learning.
When using the software, they can provide a consistent level of training to individuals, without having to be in the same physical location. This frees up the company’s time and resources and potentially saves them money.
Here are a couple of LMS user examples:
Consulting Companies – As a complementary side business or an easy way to increase the value they offer clients, consultants can use an LMS to deliver training and solutions.
Online Education Companies – To enhance students’ learning experience, education companies can offer courses and modules to students.
The social media management platform Hootsuite is one such example:
An LMS can provide students with material to supplement their in-class learning or new content they may need to learn before they come to a lesson.
What Thinkific Plan Do You Need to Use It as an LMS?
When looking for the right Thinkific plan, you’ll have four options: Free, Start, Grow, and Expand.
Each plan has different tools and features that we’ll explore below.
The platform’s most basic plan is (not surprisingly) the Free plan. Unfortunately, its features are lacking if you’re looking to use Thinkific as an LMS.
Thinkific’s Free plan won’t allow you to schedule content, award completion certificates, give assignments, or have access to course compliance tools and we would not suggest it for those looking to use Thinkific as an LMS.
The start plan costs subscribers $99 per month, or $74 per month when taking out an annual subscription.
This is the minimum plan required to get the following features:
- Publish an unlimited number of courses
- Schedule content
- Award completion certificates
- Give assignments
- Course compliance tools
The Grow plan costs $199 per month, reduced to $149 per month if paying annually.
In addition to the features included in the Start plan, this option includes the following:
- Randomized quiz question bank
- Brillium exam integrations
- Ability to remove Thinkific branding
The final plan the platform offers is the Expand plan, costing $499 for the monthly subscription or $375 per month when paid annually.
While the Expand plan has additional features not available in the other plans which may be of use to you, it won’t provide you with any additional LMS tools. As a result, if you are only looking to build an LMS, we recommend the platform’s Grow plan.
|Free Plan||Start Plan||Grow Plan||Expand Plan|
|Number of Published Courses||1||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Number of Students||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Course Compliance Tools||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Randomized Quiz Question Bank||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Brillium Exams Integrations||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Remove Thinkific Branding||No||No||Yes||Yes|
Pros and Cons of Using Thinkific as an LMS
Here’s a list of pros and cons for you to consider before subscribing:
- Drag and Drop System – The website builder is intuitive and makes it simple to build your site using its drag and drop system
- Cost-Effective Solution – Given that you can have an unlimited number of students and courses, it can be considered good value for money
- Thinkific Academy – In addition to email, chat, and phone support, the platform has online courses and workshops to help you get set up and started
- SCORM, Tin Can, and AICC – The platform currently does not support these types of reporting
- Paid Subscription – To use Thinkific as an LMS, you’ll need a paid solution, as the Free plan does not contain enough features to be used
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can migrate your lessons and students to the platform. The most effective way to do this is by using the Bulk Student Import features, available on the Growth plan.
Yes, you can manually enroll students into courses, or you can provide them with a 100% off coupon code. In addition, as the site owner, you can assign users roles.
Yes, you can use the Progress Reports feature to stay current with a student’s, group’s, or cohort’s current progress. In addition, you can also use course compliance tools and give them assignments to keep them on track.
Thinkific was founded in 2012. Since then, over 100 million courses have been completed using the platform. Whether you are an online entrepreneur looking to create an LMS as a stand-alone business, or an organization thinking of using the platform as a training tool for your employees, Thinkific has everything you’ll need using its Grow Plan.