Adding assignments to your Teachable courses is beneficial for many reasons.
However, it is not possible to create assignments directly in Teachable itself.
Instead, you must create one using a third-party app and embed it onto your Teachable course.
- Teachable does not have a native assignment creation feature
- You can create assignments using a third-party form creation app
- Completed assignments are submitted to the third-party app, not Teachable
What Are Teachable Assignments?
Assignments are commonly used in online courses and are provided for students to complete. Teachable does not have its own assignment feature. However, you are able to create them using a third-party tool and embed them onto a Teachable course.
A Teachable assignment can come in many forms. You can add a project, a written exam, a challenge, a practical assessment (such as baking a cake or painting a picture), or another method that makes sense for the type of course you are creating.
What Are the Benefits of Using Assignments with Teachable?
Adding assignments to your courses created on Teachable offer several benefits to you and your students:
- Diversify Course Content: Rather than having the students listen to or read your course content, an assignment provides an additional, interactive way to learn.
- Drive Engagement: Assignments enable students to put what they learn into practice and engage more with the course.
- Reinforce Learning: An assessment helps students cement their intake of knowledge and proves they have taken the information on board.
- Identify Knowledge Gaps: When students complete assignments, you can easily see where knowledge is lacking, then you can make improvements to your course content to address those gaps.
- Assess Your Students: Assignments are commonly used as a method to see how well your students have done or how well they are learning.
Ultimately, while you need to use a separate app to create your assignments, they are worth doing because they are so effective at enhancing learning and your overall course content.
How to Create an Assignment in Teachable (Step by Step)
While Teachable lacks a specific assignment creation feature, it is still possible for you to create one and add it to your Teachable course. Here’s how:
Step 1: Inside the course builder, click on “+ New lesson.” Give it a name and hit “Save.” Then, click on your newly created lesson to open the editing screen.
Step 2: Click on “Add content.”
Step 3: Scroll down the right-hand “Add Content” menu until you see “Custom Code.” Click on it to open up the screen where you can add the code.
Step 4: Open a new window in your browser and open your form creation app of choice. Common apps for form creation include SurveyMonkey, Typeform, and Google Forms.
Follow your chosen app’s instructions for creating a form and go ahead and build your assignment.
Step 5: Once your assignment is complete, you need to grab the code which will allow you to embed it onto your Teachable course. Depending on which app you are using, follow their instructions on how to find this code.
For Google Forms, all you have to do is click on “Send” in the top right-hand corner. A pop-up will appear. Next, click on the “<>” symbols and click “Copy.”
Step 6: Now, head back to Teachable and paste the code into the black space provided. Hit “Save.”
Your form is now embedded into your lesson, and students will be able to access and complete the assignment from within your Teachable course.
How to Submit Assignments on Teachable
Because you have to use a third-party app to create assignments in Teachable, it’s important to understand that students don’t submit them to Teachable. Instead, when a student completes the embedded form (AKA the assignment), the results get sent to whichever app you used to create it.
For example, if you use a Google form, there will be a “Submit” button provided once the form has been completed. Other apps will have similar buttons available.
When a student clicks on “Submit,” you will then be able to head to the Google account that you used to create the form and view the results there.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can add assignments to your Teachable courses by creating one with a third-party form builder and embedding it onto a lesson page.
Since you have to use a third-party form builder app to add assignments to Teachable, you are limited by what these apps provide. However, in most cases, you can create exams, challenges, practical assessments, quizzes, written assessments, and more.