eCommerce has become a global phenomenon. It won’t be too long until eCommerce will represent the majority of the economy on the planet. eCommerce shares many advantages over traditional commerce including delocalization and accessibility.
So today we are going to cover the most important and relevant eCommerce statistics you need to know for 2020.
- The US eCommerce market amounts to $365.2 billion .
- The size of the US eCommerce market is expected to grow to $600 billion by 2024 .
- eCommerce revenue in the US has grown by 65% in the past 3 years .
- eCommerce sales made up 16% of all retail revenue in the past 10 years .
- eCommerce accounted for 57% of retail gains in 2018 .
- Amazon sales made up a third of all US eCommerce in 2019 .
- The UK has the third largest eCommerce market in the world at 586 billion British pounds .
- eCommerce accounts for 16% of business turnover share in the UK .
- 785 of the UK’s population made an online sale in 2018 .
- eCommerce makes up about 8% of the UK’s total GDP .
- Amazon accounts for 31% of all eCommerce sales .
- The average Brit spends about $1070 on eCommerce purchases each year .
- The global eCommerce market is worth an estimated $3.5 trillion as of 2019 .
- The global eCommerce market is expected to grow to $6.5 trillion by 2022 .
- China is the world’s largest eCommerce market at over $ trillion .
- Global eCommerce sales have grown by almost 300% in the past 6 years .
- The US and China make up almost half the global eCommerce market .
- Amazon is the world’s largest eCommerce company .
Online Shopping Experience Statistics
Much of eCommerce’s success depends on the kind of online experience that customers have. Simply put, a poorly designed eCommerce experience will not retain customers as well as a well designed one.
- The average eCommerce conversion rate across industries is just over 2.5% .
- Gifts have the highest eCommerce conversion rates at 4.9% .
- Consumer electronics have the lowest conversion rates at 1.4% .
- Organic searchers have a 2.8% average conversion rate .
- Arts & Crafts have the highest average conversion rates per sector at 4% .
- Food and drink have the highest conversion rates out of types of products at 7.24% .
- 42% of online shoppers use credit cards to purchase goods .
- 39% use e-wallets or other digital payment options .
- E-wallet transactions in 2018 totaled more than $41.8 billion .
- 52% of Asian shoppers use e-wallets to buy goods online .
- The most popular e-wallet around the world in PayPal .
- Credit card payments are more popular in Latin American and North America .
Google Shopping & Search
- 3.5 billion Google searches are made every day .
- The total volume of Google searches increases by 10% every year .
- 36% of people discover new products on Google .
- 70% of smartphone users look up information on Google before buying products .
- 3-4 words in the Google title yields the maximum CTR .
- Google shopping ads drive 76.4% of retail search ad spend .
Shipping & Delivery
- 72% of consumers cite free delivery as their top reason to shop online .
- 82% of US shoppers would buy more to reach a minimum spending for a “free delivery” option .
- 45% of consumers say that digital retailers meet delivery expectations at least half of the time .
- 51% of online retailers offer same-day delivery .
- 65% of retailers say they plan to implement same-day shipping within 2 years .
- 49% of consumers say that same-day delivery options would make them more likely to shop online .
- 30% of all products ordered online are returned .
- Returned products cost businesses an estimated $550 billion per year .
- 49% of online retailers offer free return shipping .
- 30% of shoppers deliberately over-purchase and return items .
- 57% of retailers say that returns have a negative impact on day-to-day business functions .
- 20% of business owners say they would increase the cost of products to cover return costs .
- Clothing and shoes are the most returned items .
Churn Rate Statistics
- The ideal churn rate is around 5%-6% .
- Reducing churn rates by 5% can increase profits by almost 25% 
- 70% of customers leave a business due to poor service .
- It costs 5 times more to gain new customers than it does to keep current ones .
- 32% of people would stop buying from a company after just one bad experience .
- Over half of consumers say that companies, in general, need to focus on their customer service .
- Customer churn costs retailers over $136 billion per year .
- The average abandon cart is between 70%-80% .
- Mobile phone cart abandonment rates are over 80% .
- Around 40% of abandoned cart emails are clicked on .
- Half of those that click on abandon cart emails finish the purchase .
- Clothes have the highest abandon cart rates per product .
- 55% of abandoned carts are due to unexpected shopping costs like fees, taxes, and shipping .
Customer Acquisition & Retention Statistics
eCommerce is uniquely in need of good customer retention tactics. Since the internet is so readily available and it’s easier to find companies and products, customer retention rates on the web are still relatively low compared to retention rates at physical retailers.
- 44% of companies put more focus on customer acquisitions .
- Only 16% of companies focus more on retaining customers 
- Only 40% of companies put equal focus on customer acquisition and retention .
- 89% of companies get most of their acquisitions from the internet .
- It costs about $109 to acquire a new customer .
- The probability of selling to a new customer is 5%-20% while the probability of selling to an existing customer is 50%-70% .
- 56% of companies say that email marketing is their most effective method of retaining customers .
eCommerce Statistics by Device
eCommerce is still desktop dominated but mobile eCommerce is starting to take over a larger segment of the market. In the next few years, it is likely that eCommerce will be mostly performed via mobile devices.
- 230 million Americans own smartphones .
- 80% of mobile users bought something using their mobile device in the past 6 months .
- 40% of users say they use their mobile device to research products before buying .
- Mobile eCommerce drives more than $600 billion in sales .
- 70% of mobile searches lead to an action within an hour .
- iOS users spend an average of 16% more than Android users .
- Mobile commerce has increased by almost 30 percent per year since 2015 .
Email eCommerce Statistics
Email still remains the king when it comes to ROI in marketing. Email is virtually limitless in adaptability and info gathering schemes can help businesses make comprehensive and effective marketing campaigns.
- There are 3.9 billion global email users .
- The average email address is worth ~$140 .
- 73% of companies rank their ROI on email marketing as excellent .
- 59% of consumers say that email marketing campaigns affect their buying behavior .
- 46% of all emails are opened on mobile .
- People open marketing emails most often on iPhone .
- Over 290 billion emails are sent every day .
- The average return on email marketing is $42 per $1 spent .
- Emails with personalized subject lines have 50% higher open rates .
Social Media eCommerce Statistics
Social media continues to be a dominant force in the eCommerce sphere. Virtually every social media platform is a good platform for eCommerce activity and more are taking up the mantle.
- 30% of social media users in the US age 18-34 have bought stuff through social media .
- The average social media purchase is $79.01 .
- 87% of online shoppers believe that social media helps them make more informed purchases .
- 1 in 4 business owners makes sales through Facebook .
- Online stores with a social media presence have 32% higher average sales .
- 200 million people visit at least one business page on Instagram .
- Instagram ads can reach approximately 900 million users .
- 71% of Instagram’s user base is under 35 .
- 71% of US businesses have one or multiple Instagram profiles .
- 62% of Instagram users have become interested in a product from viewing their stories .
- 81% of users use Instagram to research or buy products .
- One-third of Pinterest users use the platform to follow brands and companies .
- 6 out of 10 millennials use Pinterest for product discovery .
- 28% of all marketers use Pinterest as a marketing tool .
- 8 out of 10 users have bought something after seeing brands’ content on Pinterest .
- Pinterest made more than $1 billion in revenue in 2019 .
Shopping Cart eCommerce Statistics
- Businesses lose more than $18 billion per year due to abandoned shopping carts .
- Optimizing checkouts can increase conversions by 35% .
- The average checkout form has 23 form elements and 14 fields .
- Cart abandonment is most common during 6 and 9 pm .
- A fast checkout process can increase customer loyalty by 50% .
Conversational Commerce Statistics
Messaging bots have become somewhat standard among the eCommerce sphere. Automated chatbots or self-serve FAQ sections are highly desired by customers as they allow them to directly search their queries.
- 61% of users say they have messaged a business in the past 3 months .
- 66% of users say they feel more confident with a brand after talking with them using a messaging app .
- 29% of US online shoppers use chatbots to shop online .
- 59% of people who message a business intend on making a purchase in the future .
Knowledge Commerce Statistics
Knowledge commerce refers to the monetization of knowledge-related products. Knowledge commerce is also referred to as the online learning industry and consists of the sale of knowledge by learned professionals in the form of video, text, audio, and more. The exchange of such goods is called knowledge commerce.
eCommerce has changed the entire world. As we continue into the 21st century we can expect the eCommerce market to keep growing until it represents that largest share of the global economy.
- Clement, J. “U.S. e-Commerce Market Size 2016-2023.” Statista, 6 Feb. 2020, www.statista.com/statistics/272391/us-retail-e-commerce-sales-forecast/.
- Young, Jessica, et al. “US Ecommerce Sales Grow 14.9% in 2019.” Digital Commerce 360, www.digitalcommerce360.com/article/us-ecommerce-sales/.
- Duncan, Eric. “Topic: E-Commerce in the United Kingdom.” Statista, 10 Feb. 2020, www.statista.com/topics/2333/e-commerce-in-the-united-kingdom/.
- Duncan, Eric. “Topic: E-Commerce in the United Kingdom .” Statista, 10 Feb. 2020, www.statista.com/topics/2333/e-commerce-in-the-united-kingdom/.
- “Ecommerce in UK: Trends, Forecasts and Statistics.” Growcode, 7 Dec. 2019, www.growcode.com/blog/ecommerce-uk/.
- Clement, J. “Global Retail e-Commerce Market Size 2014-2023.” Statista, 19 Mar. 2020, www.statista.com/statistics/379046/worldwide-retail-e-commerce-sales/.
- “Global Ecommerce Sales from 2014 to 2021.” Oberlo, 2014, www.oberlo.com/statistics/global-ecommerce-sales.
- Ognowski, Pawel. “15 Ecommerce Conversion Rate Statistics” Growcode, 30 Jan. 2020, www.growcode.com/blog/ecommerce-conversion-rate/.
- Chaffey, Dave. “E-Commerce Conversion Rates 2020 Compilation – How Do Yours Compare?” Smart Insights, 24 Feb. 2020, www.smartinsights.com/ecommerce/ecommerce-analytics/ecommerce-conversion-rates/.
- Clement, J. “Global Preferred Online Payment Methods 2017.” Statista, 13 Feb. 2020, www.statista.com/statistics/508988/preferred-payment-methods-of-online-shoppers-worldwide/.
- Rowell, Kimberly. “20 Payment Method Statistics For Merchants To Keep In Mind.” BlueSnap, 8 Aug. 2019, home.bluesnap.com/snap-center/blog/payment-method-statistics/.
- Bond, Conor. “27 Google Search Statistics You Should Know in 2019 ( Insights!).” WordStream, 26 Feb. 2020, www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2019/02/07/google-search-statistics.
- Cavaness, Kyle. “Google Shopping Statistics: 21 Reasons To Get Started.” KlientBoost, 8 Nov. 2019, klientboost.com/ppc/google-shopping-statistics/.
- Chaffey, Dave. “The Rise of Google Shopping.” Smart Insights, 20 Aug. 2018, www.smartinsights.com/digital-marketing-strategy/the-rise-of-google-shopping/.
- Lodwig, David. “15 Statistics That Show the Importance of Same-Day Delivery.” Conveyco, 7 Apr. 2020, www.conveyco.com/delivery-statistics/.
- Saleh, Khalid. “The Importance of Same Day Delivery – Statistics and Trends.” The Invesp Blog: Conversion Rate Optimization Blog, 11 Apr. 2018, www.invespcro.com/blog/same-day-delivery/.
- Saleh, Khalid. “E-Commerce Product Return Rate – Statistics and Trends [Infographic].” The Invesp Blog: Conversion Rate Optimization Blog, 11 Apr. 2018, www.invespcro.com/blog/ecommerce-product-return-rate-statistics/.
- Charlton, Graham. “Ecommerce Returns: 2020 Stats and Trends.” SaleCycle, 15 Jan. 2020, www.salecycle.com/blog/featured/ecommerce-returns-2018-stats-trends/.
- Gains, Brandon. “Calculating Churn Rate and 12 Customer Churn Statistics.” Business 2 Community, 18 Feb. 2017, www.business2community.com/customer-experience/calculating-churn-rate-12-customer-churn-statistics-01789111.
- Horstmeyer, Tara. “Customer Churn and Retention: Top 25 Stats You Need to Know.” Gravy, www.gravysolutions.io/post/customer-churn-and-retention-top-25-stats-you-need-to-know.
- Serrano, Stephan. “Complete List of Cart Abandonment Rate Statistics: 2006-2020.” Barilliance, 24 Feb. 2020, www.barilliance.com/cart-abandonment-rate-statistics/.
- “Cart Abandonment Stats: Tackling Shopping Cart Abandonment in 2020.” Email Marketing Automation Platform for Thriving Businesses, 4 Mar. 2020, moosend.com/blog/cart-abandonment-stats/.
- Santora, Jacinda. “5 Cart Abandonment Stats to Help You Win ‘Lost’ Sales Now.” OptinMonster, 30 Dec. 2019, optinmonster.com/cart-abandonment-statistics/.
- “Customer Acquisition Statistics And Trends.” Visual.ly, 27 Feb. 2020, visual.ly/community/Infographics/business/customer-acquisition-statistics-and-trends?utm_source=visually_embed.
- Gupta, Aditi. “100 Quick And Snackable eCommerce Statistics.” VWO, 4 Apr. 2020, vwo.com/blog/ecommerce-statistics/.
- Gupta, Aditi. “100 Quick And Snackable ECommerce Statistics.” VWO, 4 Apr. 2020, vwo.com/blog/ecommerce-statistics/.
- Smith, Justin. “Mobile ECommerce Stats in 2019 and the Future Online Shopping Trends of MCommerce.” OuterBox, 2 Jan. 2020, www.outerboxdesign.com/web-design-articles/mobile-ecommerce-statistics.
- “22 Must-Know Mobile Ecommerce Stats for 2020.” Pixel Union, Pixel Union, 11 Dec. 2019, pixelunion.net/blogs/state-of-the-union/mobile-ecommerce-stats.
- Mali, Nabeena. “Mobile Commerce 101: M-Commerce Trends Stats (Updated for 2020).” The BigCommerce Blog, 3 Feb. 2020, www.bigcommerce.com/blog/mobile-commerce/#mobile-commerce-statistics.
- Clement, J. “U.S. Tablet m-Commerce Sales Share 2021.” Statista, 23 July 2019, www.statista.com/statistics/250570/share-of-retail-m-commerce-sales-via-tablet/.
- “Fascinating M Commerce Statistics for 2020.” 99 Firms, 99firms.com/blog/mcommerce-statistics/#gref.).
- Only about 8% of consumers use a tablet to shop online ((“Fascinating M Commerce Statistics for 2020.” 99 Firms, 99firms.com/blog/mcommerce-statistics/#gref.
- “Fascinating M Commerce Statistics for 2020.” 99 Firms, 99firms.com/blog/mcommerce-statistics/#gref.
- Carter, Joanna. “More People Browse on Mobile but Buy via Desktop.” Smart Insights, 18 Feb. 2019, www.smartinsights.com/ecommerce/more-people-browse-on-mobile-but-buy-via-desktop/.
- Hatch, Cydney. “Be in the Know: 2018 Ecommerce Statistics You Should Know.” Disruptive Advertising, 11 Mar. 2020, www.disruptiveadvertising.com/ppc/ecommerce/2018-ecommerce-statistics/.
- Mohsin, Maryam. “10 Email Marketing Stats You Need to Know in 2020 [Infographic Included].” Oberlo, 19 Nov. 2019, www.oberlo.com/blog/email-marketing-statistics.
- Charlton, Graham. “18 Essential Email Marketing Statistics: 2020 Edition.” SaleCycle, 3 Mar. 2020, www.salecycle.com/blog/featured/18-essential-email-marketing-statistics/.
- Kristensen, Emil. “New Email Marketing Statistics You Need to Know (2020).” Sleeknote, 5 Feb. 2020, sleeknote.com/blog/email-marketing-statistics.
- Clement, J. “Social Commerce.” Statista, 14 Aug. 2019, www.statista.com/topics/1280/social-commerce/.
- Llewelynn, Gavin. “Social Commerce Trends for 2020 You Need to Look out For.” Smart Insights, 28 Nov. 2019, www.smartinsights.com/ecommerce/social-commerce/social-commerce-trends-for-2020-you-need-to-look-out-for/.
- Gennaro, Lisa. “68 Useful ECommerce Statistics You Must Know in 2020.” WPForms, 15 Feb. 2020, wpforms.com/ecommerce-statistics/#socialmediaecommercestatistics.
- Newberry, Christina. “37 Instagram Statistics That Matter to Marketers in 2020.” Hootsuite Social Media Management, 22 Oct. 2019, blog.hootsuite.com/instagram-statistics/.
- Mohsin, Maryam. “10 Instagram Statistics Everyone Should Know in 2020 [Infographic].” Oberlo, 6 Feb. 2020, www.oberlo.com/blog/instagram-stats-every-marketer-should-know.
- Newberry, Christina. “33 Facebook Stats Marketers That Matter to Marketers in 2020.” Hootsuite Social Media Management, 4 Nov. 2019, blog.hootsuite.com/facebook-statistics/.
- Blanckenberg, Nicole. “12 Facebook Stats Online Sellers Need to Know in 2019.” Business 2 Community, 19 Apr. 2019, www.business2community.com/facebook/12-facebook-stats-online-sellers-need-to-know-in-2019-02193252.
- Lin, Ying. “10 Twitter Statistics Every Marketer Should Know in 2020 [Infographic].” Oberlo, 15 Jan. 2020, www.oberlo.com/blog/twitter-statistics.
- Ahlgren, Matt. “40 Twitter Statistics 2020: Must-Know User Demographics & Facts.” Website Hosting Rating, 7 Apr. 2020, www.websitehostingrating.com/twitter-statistics/.
- Lin, Ying. “10 Pinterest Statistics Every Marketer Should Know in 2020 [Infographic].” Oberlo, 5 Jan. 2020, www.oberlo.com/blog/pinterest-statistics.
- Sehl, Katie. “28 Pinterest Statistics Marketers Should Know in 2020.” Hootsuite Social Media Management, 2 Mar. 2020, blog.hootsuite.com/pinterest-statistics-for-business/.
- Kristensen, Emil. “15 Cart Abandonment Statistics to Bookmark (2019).” Sleeknote, 1 Aug. 2019, sleeknote.com/blog/cart-abandonment-statistics.
- Miller, Grace. “31 Shopping Cart Abandonment Statistics for 2018.” Annex Cloud Blog, 2018, www.annexcloud.com/blog/31-shopping-cart-abandonment-statistics-for-2018/.
- Smith, Brad. “45 Ecommerce Statistics You Need to Know in 2019.” WordStream, 27 Aug. 2019, www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2019/04/04/ecommerce-statistics.
- Jassova, Barbora. Chatbot Market & Business Opportunities . Landbot, 2 July 2019, landbot.io/blog/chatbot-statistics-compilation/.
- Chernev, Bobby. “21 Astonishing E-Learning Statistics For 2020.” Tech Jury, 2 May 2019, techjury.net/stats-about/elearning/#gref.
- Agrawal, Vikas. “Knowledge Commerce Is Not Just a Fad, Here Is What You Need To Know.” ValueWalk, 9 May 2018, www.valuewalk.com/2018/05/knowledge-commerce-google-search/.
- “Knowledge Commerce: What It Is & How to Sell Your Knowledge Online.” Kajabi Blog, 24 Oct. 2017, blog.kajabi.com/knowledge-commerce-what-it-is-how-to-sell-your-knowledge-online.