Kartra doesn’t offer you the ability to send SMS messages directly on the platform. However, they allow for two methods of SMS integration, via its API gateway and integration software, such as Zapier, to connect with an SMS message provider
- Kartra does not have a native SMS feature
- You can set up SMS via its gateway or by using third-party integration software
You Might Also Like:
Kartra SMS Features
To send a message, you’ll need to use SMS message software that either directly integrates with Kartra’s API or use web automation software such as Zapier.
The SMS gateway lets you use its API when connecting with Twilio, Plivo, and Nexmo. It will relay the customer information to the SMS software and allow you to send messages to them.
For other SMS providers that don’t integrate directly with the SMS gateway, you’ll have to use a platform such as Zapier.
What Do You Need to Set up SMS Integration?
There are two ways to set up SMS integration: the SMS gateway or an integration tool.
Kartra SMS Gateway
The platform’s SMS Gateway allows you to integrate Kartra with SMS message software directly.
Currently, it supports the following:
This is a core feature and is therefore available for all subscription plans.
If the SMS message software you’re using isn’t mentioned above, you won’t be able to use Kartra’s SMS Gateway.
Instead, you’ll need to use automation workflow software to connect Kartra with your SMS provider.
This automation provider will relay information to the messaging services and trigger your custom message flows.
Popular automation workflow software:
- SMS Idea
- SMS by Zapier
Again, integrations are a core Kartra feature and can be used with all subscription plans.
How to Set up SMS Messaging in Kartra
Now that we’ve explained the two possible methods for using SMS on the platform, we’ll cover how to set them up.
For this example, we will go through the integration using Twilio.
You can also complete this process with the two other SMS providers. For more information specifically about them, check out the platform’s documentation library.
How to set up:
- Log in to your Kartra account
- Navigate to the My Integrations section
- Search for Twilio
- Select the three dots on the right-hand side
- Click on + New Integration
- You’ll then be redirected to the New Gateway form.
- Fill out the Gateway Name and Phone number sections, and check The Default SMS Gateway circle
- To complete the other boxes, you’ll need to get information from Twilio. Open a new tab and navigate to the platform’s dashboard
- Once on the Twilio dashboard, you’ll see Project Info, which contains your ACCOUNT SID and AUTH TOKEN. Copy these and add them to your opened Kartra tab in the specified boxes
- For the phone number you’ve entered, click Test to make sure it’s set up correctly
- Once confirmed, click Create on the top right-hand side
Your integration is complete.
Automated Integration Software
The second solution is to link your SMS provider to Kartra using automated flow software such as Zapier.
For this example, we will be connecting SMS with Kartra using Zapier.
Here’s how to set it up:
- Log in to your Kartra account
- Select the three dots, then click Technical documentation
- Now select the link, shown on the next page
You’ll be redirected to Zapier, where Kartra will be already set up.
- Click on the drop-down box and select a trigger event
- Then select Continue
- You’ll be asked to now enter your Kartra API Key and Password
- To find this information, go to Kartra and under My Integrations, navigate to API, then My API
- Copy the API Key and API Password and paste them into Zapier
- Then click Yes, Continue
- Once you’ve finished your preferred opt-in, click Done Editing – you’ll then be able to create an action using the SMS by Zapier App
- Navigate down to find the SMS by Zapier app and select it
- If you want to add an additional filter, you can do it now
- Then select Do this… Send SMS
- Complete the sections on Choose App & Event (SMS by Zapier) and Choose Account (select the phone number)
- Fill out the message that you’d like to send; you can use customer data and any other personalized information from Kartra
- Make sure any data that you’ve selected is input correctly using the Find Data section
- Click Continue
Your flow will now be set up.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can’t send SMS messages directly on the platform, but they do allow you to connect your account with an SMS provider. Kartra integrates directly with Twilio, Plivo, and Nexmo using its SMS gateway. For other providers, you can use a web automation tool such as Zapier or Integrately to set the messages up.
Yes, Zapier can be used as a web automation tool to link your Kartra and SMS provider accounts together. You can also use SMS by Zapier to deliver these messages. API integrations are a core Kartra feature and are therefore available to all plan subscribers.