Thinkific is a top-rated platform for selling online courses, but it’s not for everyone. Thinkific has some shortcomings, most notably its lack of solid marketing tools and its limited free plan.
Many people just find that Thinkific doesn’t work for them. So our team of experts has put together this list of Thinkific alternatives. These alternative platforms are all competent choices to sell online courses and other digital products.
If You are Considering Alternatives, We Also Recommend:
Kajabi is a popular Thinkific alternative and is an all-in-one business platform for creating, marketing, and selling online courses and other digital products. Kajabi stands apart due to its powerful marketing tools and sales tools, along with its intuitive course building tools. Kajabi does not require any integrations to run, and all hosting is included.
Kajabi features include:
- Course building tool
- Email marketing tools and automations
- Pipeline builder
- Analytics and reporting tools
- Payment processing options
Kajabi includes all the tools you need to run an online business integrated into a single package.
Kajabi offers three price plans:
- Basic: $149/mo
- Growth: $199/mo
- Pro: $399/mo
These plans are a bit pricey, but everything is included with no upsells or upgrades required.
- Kajabi’s marketing tools are some of the best in the business
- The pipeline tools is a unique take on sales funnels
- All Kajabi plans have 0 transaction fees. You keep all of your money
- Integrations with popular services, including Zapier
- All Kajabi plans include unlimited hosting for your pages and course materials
- Kajabi plans come with access to the Kajabi University training center and live webinar training events
- Some Kajabi tools can be difficult to work with
- The basic plan is rather limited in the number of products and pipelines
- Kajabi is a bit more expensive than some other platforms
Kartra is a sales and marketing funnel builder that also has course building capabilities. The main draw of Kartra is its simplified approach to marketing and reaching out to your audience. Kartra includes a simple yet effective page editor, a decent library of marketing templates for emails, and a neat visual automation builder.
Kartra’s key features include:
- Professional page editor
- Marketing templates
- Course building and hosting
- Automation sequences
- Split testing (A/B testing)
- Membership capabilities
- Flexible pricing plans
Kartra is designed with a focus for marketing, so the course builder and membership site builder are not exactly the main focus.
Kartra has four basic pricing plans:
- Starter: $99/mo
- Silver: $199/mo
- Gold: $299/mo
- Platinum: $499/mo
The Starter plan is the cheapest but has some limitations. It is not until the Platinum plan that you get unlimited everything (aside from leads).
- Simplified approach
- Flexible pricing options
- Great marketing tools
- Intuitive page builder
- Advanced automation sequences
- Lots of training resources
- Course builder is not amazing
- Useful plans are pretty expensive
- No native evergreen webinar feature
Teachable is another Thinkific alternative that has many similar features, including tools for creating, hosting, and selling courses. Teachable puts the emphasis more on the course building side, and so has great course creation and student engagement tools, but its marketing tools are slightly lacking compared to some other platforms.
Teachable’s features include:
- Engaging multimedia lectures
- Simple, intuitive website building tools
- Code editor for advanced customizations
- Advanced student engagement and quiz tools
- A large list of third-party integrations
Teachable offers three plans:
- Basic: $39/mo
- Pro: $119/mo
- Business: $299/mo
Teachable’s basic plan is fairly inexpensive but includes a 5% transaction fee on all sales made on your site. There is also a free plan with 10% transaction fees.
- Teachable has an intuitive and powerful course builder. It handles multimedia lesson very well
- Users get free training and onboarding when they sign up
- You can schedule drip content for your marketing strategy
- The email marketing tools are fairly decent, though not as comprehensive as something like Kajabi
- All plans, even the free one, have unlimited hosting, products, students, and courses
- Advanced quiz options are robust and flexible
- Some added upgrades can be expensive
- All content is held in Teachable’s servers. So if you cancel your plan, you won’t be able to access your materials
- The integrations are fairly basic, but some are useful
- Free and Basic plans have transaction fees
Simplero’s main design philosophy is right in the name. The whole point of Simplero is to make it as simple as possible to build and sell online courses. Simplero puts course creation front and center and takes a streamlined approach toward marketing, sales, and customer engagement. It’s a good platform for solo entrepreneurs who want to focus on creating content with an all-in-one package rather than spend time stringing together extensions and plugins to work together.
- Unlimited emails
- Powerful automations
- Responsive and intuitive website builder
- Affiliate program
- Landing pages
- Help desk
- Course Builder
Simplero aims to make things as simple as possible. The tools are very streamlined and can be used after just a few minutes of practice.
Simplero offers three main pricing tiers:
- Build: $29/mo
- Launch: $99/mo
- Rule: $149/mo
These are starting prices for 1,000 contacts. You can choose more contacts for a higher subscription fee. You can also opt for annual billing and save 17% on subscription costs.
- Ultra-streamlined approach
- Intuitive, responsive web and course builder
- Logical and flexible pricing plans
- $1 14-day trial
- Unlimited emails for marketing campaigns
- Affiliate rewards program
- Boasted 99.9% uptime
- The minimalist approach is not for everyone
- Not very many customization options
- The basic plan is very limited
- Limited storage in general
Udemy is an online course marketplace. Content creators can upload their material to the marketplace where students can purchase individual or bundles of lessons. Udemy also allows course creators to release content for free. Udemy doesn’t allow creators to market their content, but they handle all the marketing and distribution on their end.
- Video lectures and audio lectures
- Downloadable materials
- Course review capacity
- Promotional videos
- Downloadable certificates of completion
Udemy does not give course creators a wide variety of tools, but they allow for a flexible course building process.
It does not cost anything to create and sell courses on Udemy. But, the platform drakes a flat 50% fee off every sale you make using the platform. So if you sell a course for $100, Udemy will take $50, and you will get the other $50. The high commission fees mean that Udemy is probably not a good platform to grow a sustainable online course business.
- Extremely easy to set up and get started
- Udemy has customers from all over the world, so your content will reach a wide audience
- The platform handles all marketing and distribution for you
- Udemy can be used as a source of passive income and as a way to funnel customers to your business webpage
- Udemy has a wide variety of support materials for creators looking to upload content
- Udemy takes 50% of every organic sale. Promoted sales have a higher 75% commission fee
- Creators don’t really have any say in how their products are marketed
- There is the potential you won’t earn anything for your work
- It can be hard to build up a following and boost your search rankings
Podia is another all-in-one platform that is a popular Thinkific alternative. Podia lets you create, market, and sell online courses, membership site subscriptions, and digital product downloads. With Podia, you can host your course content, build a storefront, market your products, grow your contact list, and accept payments, all using the built-in tools.
Podia has the basic tools you would expect from an all-in-one platform.
- Platform setup
- Unlimited hosting for pages and course content
- Multi-language and multi-currency support
- Customizable and flexible layouts/branding
- Drip content and other marketing strategies
- Advanced quiz options
Podia has a simple pricing structure with only two plans:
- Mover: $39/mo
- Shaker: $79/mo
Both plans have 0 transaction fees and allow for unlimited students, products, and hosting for course materials. The Mover plan does not include membership sites or the blogging tool.
- Podia has very affordable plans. Both the Move and Shaker plans have a lot to offer with a low price tag
- The Podia team is constantly adding updates to the platform
- The course builder is top of the line and can handle a wide variety of file formats
- Customer support is knowledgeable, responsive, and available 24/7
- Podia allows for flexible pricing of your product offerings aside from the usual one-time purchase option
- Site building customizations are relatively lacking. Podia-built websites look good, but somewhat samey
- There is no native sales funnel building tool. There are integrations for those though
- You cannot contact customer support by phone. Most people prefer support via live chat, but it’s still nice to have the option to speak to another human being
7. Academy of Mine
Academy of Mine is an LMS enterprise company specializing in custom-built LMS platforms for education delivery. Academy of Mine has an extremely flexible course content delivery system, but may not be a good choice for solo entrepreneurs due to the price. Academy of Mine is a fantastic LMS for businesses that specialize in education and training.
Academy of Mine has powerful and flexible LMS tools:
- Course publishing capacities
- Gamification resources
- A highly customizable content delivery system
- Import/export course content from/to other platforms
- Advanced test/quiz creation tools
- Free development hours to help you customize your platform
Academy of Mine has two main pricing plans:
- Essentials: $499/mo
- Professional: $899/mo
They also have a special custom plan for high volume businesses that have specialized needs.
- Extremely powerful and flexible LMS software is customizable for your individual needs
- The sophisticated content delivery system
- Advanced student analytics and reporting tools. You can keep track of students’ progress in all aspects
- The support team is highly knowledgeable and experienced
- All plans allow for unlimited courses and users
- Academy of Mine has eCommerce solutions integrated natively into the platform
- White labeling means you can add your own custom brand to the software package
- Expensive. Even the basic plan costs almost $6,000 a year
- The number of options can be overwhelming. Finding the right customization for your LMS can take significant effort
- Importing/exporting courses can be a hassle and mess with some format settings
Ruzuku is another all-in-one LMS that promises to make selling courses “ridiculously easy.” Ruzuku content a suite of integrated tools and is noted for its streamlined approach to course creation. You can have a functioning Ruzuku course created and ready to sell in just 2 hours. Ruzuku also has built-in payment options so eCommerce is a possibility right out of the box.
- Comprehensive onboarding process
- Simple online course creator tool
- Flexible subscription and pricing system for setting product offers
- Smart functionalities allow for interactive lessons
- Advanced course analytics for keeping track of student progress
Ruzuku offers 3 pricing plans:
- Bootstrapper: $99/mo
- Up-and-Comer: $149/mo
- University: $199/mo
All plans allow for unlimited students, unlimited products, and unlimited hosting for pages and course materials.
- Ruzuku has absolutely streamlined the course creation process. You can have a course up and running in just a few hours
- All plans have unlimited courses, products, and students. You can make as many courses as you want
- Ruzuku creates regular backups of all your content, so you never have to worry about losing anything
- Payment info is protected by bank-level encryption
- PayPal and Stripe payment processing is built into the platform
- The course creation tools are relatively limited in customization
- You can only contact customer support through email
- Ruzuku’s email tools are decent, but ultimately limited to simple email marketing campaigns
- Ruzuku has a relatively high price point, but not as many features as other online course platforms
9. Tutor LMS
Tutor LMS is an extremely popular WordPress LMS plugin. LSM Tutor can be integrated into a WordPress page to give your business site the capability to create and sell online courses. LMS gives users the basic tools for managing courses and integrates with several other services to expand its functionality.
- Drag-and-drop course builder
- Prerequisite and course restrictions
- Integrated eCommerce options for WooCommerce
- Student-end and instructor-end dashboards allow for a more traditional education experience
- Course reviews
Tutor LMS is a plugin, so it cannot work by itself. You have to integrate it into a WordPress site if you want to use it.
Tutor LMS works on a license subscription basis. The prices are:
- Single license: $149/yr
- 5-license pack: $199/yr
- Unlimited licenses: $299/yr
As you can see, Tutor LMS is based on a yearly subscription. A single license allows you to use the software on a single WordPress site.
- Powerful course building tools
- Tutor LMS has some of the best quiz and testing features of any LMS plugin
- TutorLMS has a very affordable price compared to other course creation plugins
- Tutor LMS has built-in WooCommerce integration
- The plugin can integrate with most of WP theme, including paid ones
- The platform is super simple to use
- You have to integrate the plugin with a WordPress site
- There is currently no discussion or forum functionality
- There are no real built-in marketing tools aside from basic email functionality
LearnDash is another LMS plugin designed to give WordPress sites the ability to create, market, and sell online courses. LearnDash is one of the most popular LMS plugins and is used by Fortune 500 companies. LearnDash has a very large suite of tools related to courses and has advanced quiz options for tracking student progress.
- Unlimited courses, users, and products
- Email notifications and broadcasts
- Course forums for student discussions
- Drip-feed lessons to release new content
- Certificate and badges available for course completion
- Free integrations included with all plans
LearnDash offers three separate yearly subscription plans:
- Basic; $199/yr
- Plus: $229/yr
- Pro: $329/yr
Keep in mind that LearnDash is a plugin, so you will have to pay for a WordPress hosted site and domain.
- The course builder is simple yet very flexible. LearnDash uses a drag-and-drop editor for building courses
- Integrates with most modern and paid WP themes
- Pricing is fair and generous compare to some other plugins considering the number of features you get
- LearnDash team regularly pushes updates to optimize the platform
- The company offers a 30-day money-back guarantee
- LearnDash has a large array of features, so it can be difficult to figure things out at the beginning
- You still need to pay for your own hosting and domain
- There is no free option to try out the software
- Does not integrate well with some WP themes
LearnWorlds is an enterprise LMS for businesses and ambitious entrepreneurs. LearnWorlds has a fully customizable software solution for businesses that need to train employees and associates. The cloud-based architecture offers a reliable and extremely flexible system that can be customized with your unique branding. LearnWorlds also works for solo entrepreneurs who want to sell courses.
- Fully customizable LMS system
- Ability to import/export existing course materials
- Allows for gamification elements in courses
- Advanced test/quiz options
- Live online and in-person training
- Live rep customer support
LearnWorlds has a simple and flexible pricing plan:
- Starter: $29/mo
- Pro Trainer: $99/mo
- Learning Center: $299/mo
They also offer a high volume corporate plan with flexible pricing for large organizations.
- Lots of features. LearnWorlds gives you many options for creating your sited and courses
- The pricing plan is transparent and affordable
- Capacity to create interactive lessons can drive moe student engagement
- Language customization options
- The company offers a free month-long (30-day) trial of the software
- Customer support on the cheaper plans could be better
- There are many features and figuring everything out can be difficult and confusing at first
Thinkific is a powerful platform for creating, marketing, and selling online courses. But it’s not perfect, and not everyone is about it. If you have tried Thinkific and found that it’s not working for you, then any one of these Thinkific alternatives can be a solid option.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Are There Any Examples of Websites Made With Thinkific?
- What are The Best Features of Thinkific?
- What are The Best Thinkific Themes?
- Can You Give Your Students a Certificate, Once They Finish a Course?
- Does Thinkific Provide With Good Analytics Features?
- What Can You Do With API on Thinkific?
- Are Thinkific Videos Downloadable?
- Can You Use Thinkific to Build Membership Site?
- Is Thinkific Affiliate Program Good?
- How to Get Support in Thinkific?
- Are There Any Examples of Online Courses Made With Thinkific?
- Can I Access The Demo of Thinkific?